From the wild hills and moors of West Riding, sparkling streams and rivers are born. Winding their way through the woods and meadows of the Dales, they encounter dry stone walls and mossy bridges.
Crumbling churches tell us of a time that once was, a time when the loud clang from the blacksmiths echoed through the village and in contrast, the quiet of the hand-loom weavers as they went about their daily routine.
William Simpson was one of those blacksmiths. He moved with his family from Rylstone in Yorkshire to Kildwick between 1800 and 1810, where he set up his blacksmith shop. His son, John, continued the business after his father's death.