St. Andrews Church
The Doomsday Book of 1086 shows evidence of a church existing in Kildwick. During the 12th Century a small stone church replaced the old one.(which was probably of wattle and daub). In 1311 records show restoration, and again in 1320.
In the mid 15th Century and early 16th Century the church was lengthened making it abnormally long, one of the largest in Yorkshire. The church has changed very little since then.
Many of our Simpsons were buried here, unfortunately most of the headstone have been removed.
The White Lion Inn
First recorded in 1600, it wasn't until later that it took the name 'White Lion'. In 1822 Thomas Robinson was the proprietor and postmaster. In 1834, the proprietor was Richard Robinson, also postmaster.
One of the oldest bridges in the North of England. It was first mentioned in the account book of Bolton Priory of 1305. The bridge has 4 arches (2 pointed and 2 rounded). Alterations were made in 1780 with the arrival of the Industrial revolution. The bridge crosses the River Aire.
The blacksmith shop
Out the back - Here the horses could be led down steps to a tributary of the River Aire for water.
Between (approximately) 1810 and 1843 William Simpson was the blacksmith in Kildwick. After his death in 1843, his son John took over the business. John was still listed as the blacksmith in 1881 at the age of 87. He died in 1889. There were no blacksmiths listed in the 1891 census. William Law was the blacksmith between 1901 and 1911.
Picture of the Leeds/Liverpool Canal, situated behind the church. The bridge in the background was known as the Parson's bridge. (photo taken by Heather )